Fabric choice plays a huge role in dressmaking, so much that choosing the wrong type can essentially break your project or make it difficult to sew. For this reason you can spend a ton of time and money deciding on, and finding the right choice.
Here I've compiled the recommended fabric choices for each Showtime dress design brought to you by my friends at Fabric Wholesale Direct. They are a manufacturer direct to consumer online shop with great prices. I have used their products in numerous projects and have always been impressed with the quality and service.
Threadora and FWD have come together for an exciting giveaway! Read to the end of this post to find out how to enter!
The following are recommended fabrics for each of the dresses in the pattern collection Showtime. Their weight, drape and application purpose is what make them the right choice. If something catches your eye that isn't on the list but has similar properties, go for it! Experimenting is all part the beauty of half-scale! Other fabrics, including ones needed for the inside foundations are not listed here, you will find those in the PDF pattern materials list!
Get started on the Prima Ballerina half-scale pattern + course.
- Charmeuse Satin, however I actually made the Primadonna sample in a matte satin (see below) but it is pretty heavy. If you want the added challenge and a look with more "body" go for it! But charmeuse will give you an easier time and a softer drape.
Get started on the Primadonna half-scale pattern + course.
- Matte Satin (Peau de Soie)
- Silk Charmeuse (for front pleats) a more affordable one is Charmeuse Satin
Get started on the Ringmistress half-scale pattern + course.
FWD + Threadora Giveaway Contest
We've joined forces to help get you everything you need to start sewing beautiful gowns! ENTER HERE to get a chance at winning the grand prize of:
- a $50 (USD) Gift Card to FWD + One Showtime Collection course of your choice. Includes a half-scale PDF printable pattern and video sewing instruction. Total valued at $100!
- two additional bonus prizes of a $25 Threadora gift card to use on whatever you'd like!
Contest begins May 3rd, 2021 and ends May 9th. For more details please view the contest page. Good luck!